- Seagate Support »
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up
Seagate Hard Drive Not Working
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
Seagate hard drive is a popular American storage device used to back up the data. At times it does not work or the system does not detect it due to several reasons. In such a case, you should troubleshoot issues. Here we are going to discuss the different solutions for the ‘Seagate hard drive not working’ issue.
The hardware connection on the drive could be the problem. So read the below steps to fix it.
- If you are connecting the drive to a USB port and the device is not detected, then try connecting it to the other USB ports on the computer to see if the drive is detected.
- Make sure you are using a proper, working USB cable. If the USB cable is damaged or tampered, then replace it with a new one.
- Sometimes, the device you are connecting may have technical issues. So, connect the drive to some other working computer and see if the drive is detected.
- Check if the power adapter of the Seagate drive is working. If not, then use a working power adapter to solve the issue.
Troubleshooting the drive:
- Use the below steps to troubleshoot the drive errors on your Windows computer.
- While on the desktop window, press the Win and R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter “compmgmt.msc” in the Run box and click OK.
- After that, select the Device Manager menu from the left side panel.
- Navigate to the Disk Drives menu and click to expand it. Find the Seagate drive name and right-click on it.
- Now, select Properties and click the Volumes tab.
- Select Populate and note down the disk number allocated to the Seagate drive.
- Next, click the Disk Management menu on the left panel to display the drive status.
- With the disk number, identify the drive and see if it shows ‘RAW’ or ‘Unallocated.’
- Even after troubleshooting the drive, if it indicates the same status, then try the below steps.
- Follow these steps to fix the seagate hard drive not working.
Format the drive:
- Before formatting the drive, it is better to recover the data on it using a data recovery tool.
- After you format the drive, the drive capacity, file system type, drive letter, and the drive health status will appear in the Disk Management window.
- If the drive letter is missing, then click the Add button.
- Choose a letter from the drop-down list to add the drive letter to the drive and click OK.
- Open the Finder app and enter ‘applications’ to open the Application folder.
- Following that, select the Utilities menu and then open the Disk Utility.
- Find the drive name in the left panel in the Disk Utility window.
- Click the Show All Devices menu and recheck if you can find the drive name.
- Select your Seagate drive and click the Mount button.
- In case the drive could not be mounted on the system, then select the drive again and click First Aid.
- Now, the system would scan the drive and if there is a problem with the disk, the Repair Disk option will appear.
- Make sure to recover the drive data before you start repairing it because, during the repair, the drive data will be erased.
- Even after repairing, if the drive does not work properly, then reformat the drive.
- If you cannot find the drive name in the Disk Utility window, then hold the Option key while you click the Apple menu on the dock.
- Now, select the System Information or System Profiler option.
- In the next window, click Hardware on the left panel and choose the correct interface below Hardware.
- In the central panel, find the Seagate drive name. Still, if the drive name does not appear, then restart the system in Safe Mode.
If you having any further queries regarding to fix the seagate hard drive not working. Click the call button available on the screen.