Moving Data Between two systems using Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB External Hard Drive or Transfer Files Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable Drive
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB
- Windows 7 or Vista requests drivers
- Seagate Backup Plus 4TB external hard drive not detected
- connect your Backup Plus 4TB to a USB port.
- How to use Seagate Backup Plus 4TB External Drive
- How to find out the backup files on your seagate Backupplus 4TB Hard Drive
- The drive is busy or in use.
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking
Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB hard drive is used to copy data from one computer to another. We recommend you to copy only the documents, music files, pictures, etc. and not the applications because when you paste the applications on your secondary computer, it will not work.If you want to Transfer Files Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable Drive follow below procedures
Transfer Files Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable Drive from windows to mac
- NTFS driver includes the drives of GoFlex line that makes use of NTFS file systems in Mac operating system to Transfer Files Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable Drive.
- From your Mac Portable, click on testFile.rtf to drag it into the Seagate’s Free Agent external hard drive.
- If it displays an error message that the item testFile.rtf could not be moved because Free Agent cannot be modified, click on OK button and proceed to the next step.
- This opens the Seagate setup Assistant wizard.When you initiate the Seagate setup Assistant wizard, Seagate GoFlex Installer window opens.
- On the Seagate Diagnostics window click on Continue; again choose to click Continue.
- It will display the Important Information page that contains the applications and extensions of your Mac. Now click on Continue.
- Click Continue when the Software License Agreement window opens.
- If it displays a message to continue installing the software, you must agree to the terms and conditions of the software license agreement. Hence click on Agree and proceed to the next step.
- The Standard Install on Macintosh HD page opens and click on the Customize option.
- Choose the option Paragon NTFS for Mac, enable the checkmark and click on Install.
- Click on Continue Installation and if it prompts to restart after finishing the installation, click on Restart button.
- Go to your Mac Portable and try to drag & drop the testFile.rtf to the Free Agent drive.
Transfer Files Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable Drive from mac to windows
The Paragon driver in the Seagate Free Agent GoFlex enables the NTFS file systems applicable in Mac OS.
Please refer the procedure for Transfer Files Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable Drive from Windows PC to Macintosh for loading the NTFS driver on your Mac and install the Paragon driver to transfer the data from Macintosh OS to Windows OS.
Note: Windows does not support the Macintosh file system for non-GoFlex drives and it cannot be read, but it can read the FAT32 file system.
Instead of FAT32 file system, using a third-party disk utility allows you to see or read the Macintosh formatted volumes.
From Macintosh OS to Macintosh OS:
If you wish to transfer from one Mac computer to another requires NTFS to be reformatted in Mac OS before you initiate the data backup process. The excluded seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB Portable external hard drives that directly allows you transfer the data between Mac to Mac are, Free Agent Go and Free Agent for Desk. But these drives comes formatted by default in Mac OS Extended format.
With the procedure provided below, learn how to format a drive in Mac OS 10.6 to 10.10:
- Open Disk Utility.
- From Disk Utility go to Applications, and then click Utilities; choose Disk utilities.
- Choose the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB Drive which is situated on the left that displays the capacity.
- From the right hand side of the Disk Utility Window choose the Partition tab.
- Click on Partition Layout and choose 1 Partition
- Name the drive once you find the untitled 1 bar that is next to the name. With this name the drive is visible when mounted.
- Change the Format (which is below the Name field) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Choose Options and Click GUID Partition Table.
- Click OK and then select Apply.
- The below window will display guiding you that this is a data destructive process and any data on the drive will be deleted currently.
- To complete the formatting process click on Partition.
How to copy your data to the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB Drive?
- Moving it manually (using the drag & drop or the copy & paste method).
- Creating image/clone backup.
- Using a Backup software.
- Inbuilt backup software within Windows and Mac OS.
Cut & Paste instructions:
- Go to My computer or from Portable to access the folders or files you wish to move.
- Again in another window open the destination folder into which you wish to move your files.
- Choose the item you wish to use the Cut option.
- Press Ctrl + Click on the item.
- From the menu choose the Cut option.
- Go to the destination folder to save and right-click on it.
- Click Paste from the menu.
By using your keyboard you can do copy & paste quickly.
- Choose the item you wish to Copy by pressing Ctrl + Click on the same.
- Click Ctrl + C keys together to copy the items or folders.
- Go to the destination folder you wish to save and press Ctrl + V to paste the item.
How to back up your data using backup software?
Seagate External hard drives and Maxtor-brand drives comprise backup programs. To use these back up software, install the software that is provided with your drive and run the backup after you configure and launch it.
- Modify the backup settings.
- Quick launch of an immediate file backup.
- Outlook the backup log.
- C: and History are the two folders listed for the PCname
- Schedule the backup of selected or required folders.
- Retain the backup files.
We vouch for two backup plans when your Seagate Backup Plus Slim 4TB is connected to your computer.
- Simple Backup: This is a pre-configured plan to back up only the My Documents /Vista/7/personal folder on your computer by 10.00p.m every day.
- Custom Backup: This is a customized plan that allows you to select the required folders and set a destination and schedule for backing up the data.
Steps to create a simple backup:
- On the Windows Portable, double-click on the Seagate/Maxtor Manager icon to open.
- Click on Backup and that will let you the backup window open.
- Select Simple Backup and this step will open the Simple Backup Confirmation window.
- Fix a name for your Backup plan and click OK to confirm. Now you will return to the Backup window.
- The Simple Backup is generated. Click on the Backup Now button to initiate an instant backup for your files.
Steps to create a custom backup:
- Open the Seagate/Maxtor Manager icon located on your Windows Portable.
- Go to the Backup Window by choosing Backup.
- The Folder Selection window opens for the Backup Plan when you choose Custom Backup.
- To add folders click on checkmark and to remove folders click uncheck, and then click on the Next button.
- This will open the Select File Type window for you.
- Choose certain File Types you want to add or remove from your Backup plan
How to backup data on your Mac OS using backup systems like Time Machine?
Follow the below procedures before restoring data from Time Machine backup:
Setup the external hard drive that is used with Time Machine.
- Open System Preferences on your Mac computer.
- Activate the Time Machine.
- A new window opens displaying the external storage drives that are connected to your Mac when you click on the Select Disk button.
- Choose any one of the drive and click on the Use Disk button.
- The Backup Disk is chosen at this stage and enables the Time Machine to start its next back up; the backup process takes a time period of 120 seconds.
Excluding items from Time Machine backup plan.
- Open the System Preferences and then Time Machine from your Mac computer.To open the options window, click on Options.
- If you want to check or change which item has been excluded by the Time Machine, click on the + (Plus) button.
- Choose the files or folders you wish to exclude from Time Machine and then click on the Exclude button. In the meantime it calculates the folder size and the required adjustments.
- To complete the process click on Finish button. The Time Machine sets the drive in a ready to use state and backup the selected data.